With No Practice, Sweet on Pole for ACT International
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ACT071815-83
<<ATTACHED PHOTO (DSC07057.JPG): Barre, VT's Nick Sweet will start on the pole for Sunday's ACT International Late Model event despite arriving at the track as Late Model practice was being completed. (Heather Aube photo)>>
Plattsburgh, NY – Sweet almost didn't make it to qualifying for the American-Canadian Tour (ACT) International 500 at Airborne Park Speedway on Saturday – but he arrived just in time to win the pole for the ACT Late Model 200-lap, $10,000-to-win feature on Sunday, July 19.
Barre, VT's Sweet, whose wife has been dealing with complications surrounding the early arrival of his third child, decided at the last minute to make the trip for the event. He and his Eric Chase–owned #40VT Late Model team pulled into the pits as the final ACT practice session of the day was wrapping up.
The team hustled to get the car ready for competition, and Sweet raced from sixth to third in the second qualifying heat, earning a +3 in ACT's plus/minus handicapping system. That was enough for Sweet to win a tiebreaker with Williamstown, VT's Jimmy Hebert for the pole position in tomorrow's event.
"I had a great time today," Sweet said. "There were no expectations; we just wanted to go out there and have fun. We're glad that a weekly Thunder Road driver could be on the pole. We'll hopefully keep performing and try to build on it tomorrow.
"We've been looking forward to this race, and circumstances almost didn't allow for us to be here, but we made it, and we're glad we did."
Hebert will start on the outside pole after earning a +3 in the third qualifying heat. Hebert began the Friday practice day at the bottom of the speed charts, but has made steady improvement throughout the weekend.
Patrick Laperle, Alex Labbé, and Wayne Helliwell Jr. earned victories in the ACT qualifying heats. Jean-François Déry won the consolation race.
Quebec's Patrick Cliche developed engine problems in the second-to-last pratice and missed his qualifying heat while changing engines. Cliche started last in the consi and raced his way up to seventh, earning the 19thstarting position in Sunday's event.
Donald Theetge will start on the pole of the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) Super Late Model 200-lap event after winning the first qualifying heat. Joey Polewarczyk Jr. won the second qualifying heat and will start on the outside pole.
St-Hyancinthe, QC's Pierre Hébert won the 25-lap Rev-Star SpeedSTR feature, holding off a hard-charging Doug Roses in the final laps. Francis Méthot, Marc-André Levesque, and Richie Tobias completed the top-five.
The ACT International 500 at Plattsburgh, NY's Airborne Park Speedway continues on Sunday, July 19. The day will begin at 1:00pm with the PASS Super Late Model 200-lap, $10,000 to win event. After the Rev-Star Slingshots take to the track, the ACT Late Models will complete the doubleheader with their own 200-lap, $10,000-to-win feature. General adult admission is $35.
ACT INTERNATIONAL 500
ACT LATE MODELS
UNOFFICIAL STARTING LINE-UP
Pos, Car #, Driver, Hometown, +/-
1. (40VT),Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, +3
2. (58VT)Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, +3
3. (5VT) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, +3
4. (80QC) Donald Theetge, Boischatel, QC, +3
5. (97NH) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, +2
6. (21QC) Jean-Francois Dery, Quebec, QC, +2
7. (4NY) Brandon Atkins, AuSable Forks, NY, +2
8. (91QC) Patrick Laperle, St-Denis, QC, +1
9. (48QC) Alex Labbé, St-Felicien, QC, +1
10. (27NH) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 0
11. (5CT) Dillon Moltz, Waterford, CT, 0
12. (19QC) Dany Trepanier, St-Edourard, QC, 0
13. (9ME) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 0.
14. (68VT) Brooks Clark, Fayston, VT, -1
15. (50ME) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, -1
16. (11QC) Claude Leclerc, Lanoraie, QC
17. (16ME) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME
18. (37VT) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT
19. (5QC) Patrick Cliché, Levis, QC
20. (17RI) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI
21. (77QC) Charles Harvey, Terrebonne, QC
22. (99QC) Brandon White, Kahnawake, QC
23. (38QC) Gaetan Gaudreault, Quebec, QC
24. (41QC) Jonathan Bouvrette, Blainville, QC
25. (29NH) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH
PASS SUPER LATE MODELS
UNOFFICIAL STARTING LINE-UP
Pos., Car #, Driver, Hometown
1. (80) Donald Theetge, Boischatel, Que.
2. (97) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, N.H.
3. (45) Derek Ramstrom, West Boylston, Mass.
4. (71)Raphael Lessard, St-Joseph-Beauce, Que.
5. (55VT) Brent Dragon, Milton, Vt.
6. (5X) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, Vt.
7. (37) Brian Hoar, Williston, Vt.
8. (8) Tate Fogleman, Durham, N.C.
9. (7L) Glen Luce, Turner, Maine
10. (17) Travis Benjamin, Morrill, Maine
11. (73) Joey Doiron, Berwick, Maine
12. (60) D.J. Shaw, Center Conway, N.H.
13. (91) Patrick Laperle, St-Denis, Que.
14. (7) Mike Rowe, Turner, Maine
15. (28) Mark Lundblad Jr., Center Conway, N.H.
16. (00) Bryan Kruczek, Newmarket, N.H.
17. (09) Jeremy Davis, Tamworth, N.H.
18. (4) Ben Rowe, Turner, Maine
19. (2M) Matt Matheson, Geary, N.B.
Pos., Car #, Driver, Hometown
1. (1) Pierre Hébert, St-Hyacinthe, QC
2. (2) Doug Roses, Pennsylvanie, QC
3. (55) Francis Méthot, St-Jean-Richelieu, QC
4. (37) Marc-André Levesque, Beloeil, QC
5. (24x) Richie Tobias, Hershey, PA
6. (32) Patrick Manny, St-Hyancinthe, QC
7. (79S) Sabrina Blanchet, Québec, QC
8. (35) André Manny, St-Hyacinthe, QC
9. (17) Antoine Parent, St-Victoire, QC
10. (96) Patrick Lague, Farnham, QC
11. (71) Patrick Rheaume, Chateauguay, QC
12. (31) Isabelle Manny, St-Hyacinthe, QC
13. (12) Keven Hebert, St-Hyacinthe, QC
14. (16) André Lussier, ST-Hyacinthe, QC
15. (78S) Stephanie Ratté, Québec, QC
16. (24) Alain Mattieu, St-Sabine, QC
17. (27) Gabriel Lissuer, St-Hyacinthe, QC
Pour lire le reste / Read more...