For Immediate Release
Steckly Weathers Wild West
Earns Second Consecutive Win in 2015
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada (July 15, 2015) – Three-time NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Presented by Mobil 1 champion Scott Steckly calls the eastern edge of Ontario home, but after the week he's had racing, he may consider relocating to Canada's western region.
Piloting his No. 22 Canadian Tire Dodge, Steckly emerged from a fierce, race-long battle for the lead with Andrew Ranger, Jason Hathaway, and L.P. Dumoulin – and endured two red flag periods – to capture his second consecutive win of the season in the Velocity Prairie Thunder 250 at Auto Clearing Motor Speedway.
Steckly won the Alberta Has Energy 300 just five days ago at Edmonton International Raceway. The victory increases his series record on ovals to 18, and is his third career win at ACMS.
Jason Hathaway was sent to the rear of the field for remaining in the pit area too long after the halfway break, but rebounded to take the lead temporarily on lap 226. Steckly regained the top spot for good on lap 239, but Hathaway held off Andrew Ranger to earn his second runner-up finish on the season.
Ranger led a total of four times during the race, but a slide on Lap 186 dropped him back in the field and he was forced to settle for a third place finish.
Mark Dilley was penalized for jumping the start on the initial green flag, moving to the rear of the field after a pass through penalty. He climbed to fifth place by the halfway break, and finished in the fourth position for the night.
Jostens Rookie of the Year contender Marc-Antoine Camirand posted his second consecutive fifth-place finish and third overall for his career.
Noel Dowler, Alex Tagliani, J.F. Dumoulin, James Van Domselaar, and Adam Dowler rounded out the top 10.
The first 100 laps set the tone for the evening, featuring a constant battle for the lead between Steckly, L.P. Dumoulin, and Ranger, with Ranger and Steckly exchanging the lead three times and Dumoulin leading 11 laps in between.
On Lap 102, Erica Thiering made hard contact on the backstretch and the cars of Joey McColm, Nick Jewell, Adam Dowler, and Matthew Scannell were collected. The red flag was displayed for over nine minutes as the track was cleared.
At the halfway break, Steckly led Ranger, L.P. Dumoulin, Gary Klutt, and Mark Dilley.
On Lap 206, the red flag was displayed again as light rain forced a temporary delay in the racing action. The race included a total of nine caution flags.
The race will be televised on TSN on July 25 at 12:30 p.m. ET and on RDS2 at 2 p.m. on Aug. 8.
The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Presented by Mobil 1 returns to action on July 25 for the Lucas Oil National 250 at Autodrome St-Eustache in Quebec.
NASCAR Canadian Tire Series pres. by Mobil 1-Velocity Prairie Thunder 250 Results
At Auto Clearing Motor Speedway
Lap length: 0.333 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 250 laps, 53.806 mph.
2. (11) Jason Hathaway, St. Thomas, Ont., Chevrolet, 250.
3. (4) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 250.
4. (2) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Ford, 250.
5. (14) Marc-Antoine Camirand, Saint-Leonard-d'Aston, Que., Chevrolet, 250.
6. (8) Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 250.
7. (5) Alex Tagliani, Lachenaie, Que., Chevrolet, 250.
8. (12) J.F. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 250.
9. (16) James Van Domselaar, Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., Chevrolet, 248.
10. (13) Adam Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Dodge, 244.
11. (17) Nick Jewell, Fort Frances, Ont, Dodge, 242.
12. (15) Jamie Krzysik, Grande Prairie, Alta., Dodge, 231, accident.
13. (3) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 230.
14. (6) Gary Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Dodge, 223, accident.
15. (10) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Ford, 202.
16. (9) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 201.
17. (7) Matthew Scannell, Rockwood, Ont., Dodge, 110, accident.
18. (19) Erica Thiering, Sherwood Park, Alta., Ford, 101, accident.
19. (18) Jason Hankewich, Kindersley, Sask., Chevrolet, 9, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 32 minutes 50 seconds
Margin of Victory: .379 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: S.Steckly (81.590 mph, 14.693 seconds)
Caution Flags: 9 for 74 laps.
Lead Changes: 15 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: S. Steckly 1-3; A. Ranger 4-24; S. Steckly 25; A. Ranger 26; S. Steckly 27-50; L. Dumoulin 51-61; A. Ranger 62-83; S. Steckly 84-131; A. Ranger 132-162; S. Steckly 163-180; A. Ranger 181-182; S. Steckly 183-224; J. Hathaway 225; S. Steckly 226; J. Hathaway 227-237; S. Steckly 238-250.
Standings: 1. S. Steckly, 247; 2. J. Hathaway, 243; 3. Gary Klutt, 222; 4. A. Ranger, 222; 5. L. Dumoulin 221; 6. D. Kennington 213; 7. J. Dumoulin 209; 8. M. Camirand 205; 9. A. Tagliani 203; 10. J. McColm 191.