Tremont Wrecks, Wins on Wild "Whelen Wednesday" at Devil's Bowl Speedway
Duprey by inches in Renegades; Conroy tops fun Mini Stock race
For Immediate Release
WEST HAVEN, Vt. – Kenny Tremont Jr. narrowly escaped from a big pileup to win on the special "Whelen Wednesday" double-points Mid-Season Championship stock car event on the Dirt Track at Devil's Bowl Speedway on August 10. In spite of major damage to his car, the seven-time Devil's Bowl champion ran to his second win of the season after a wild 35-lap race. Bill Duprey and Chris Conroy also scored victories during the night, which was presented by NASCAR Whelen All-American Series title sponsor Whelen Engineering.
Three caution flags slowed the pace of the Central Vermont Motorcycles Sportsman Modified race in the first three laps. Tremont, of West Sand Lake, N.Y., was involved in the most serious incident, which stacked his car up with those of top championship point drivers Justin Comes, Derrick McGrew, and rookie Justin Severance. All but Comes were able to continue, though the body on Tremont's car was severely damaged.
Tremont marched forward through the field once racing resumed, aided in part by several more caution flags and a high attrition rate. Race leader Brian Whittemore's fine effort was interrupted by a crash at lap 18, setting up a second-half duel between Tremont and point leader Bobby Hackel of Rensselaer, N.Y., that left fans roaring in approval.
The pair squared off in the final 17 circuits with Hackel challenging Tremont nearly every corner. After the final caution flag on lap 33, an exciting green-white-checker sprint to the finish capped the race in style and Tremont scored his second Devil's Bowl win of the season and the 72nd of his career at the facility. Hackel was second followed by a solid Tim LaDuc. Severance recovered for a career-best fourth-place finish, with Vince Quenneville Jr. fifth. Whittemore, Chad Miller, and McGrew were the only other drivers running at the finish.
Unofficially, Hackel retains his championship lead by just five points over Tremont, 400-395. Tim LaDuc rides third 33 points back, followed by Quenneville and Severance.
Billy Duprey of Hydeville, Vt., extended his win streak to five in the Rosen & Berger Auto Recyclers Renegade division. A short field of cars was not short on excitement, as Duprey made several side-by-side attempts to wrestle the lead away from Curtis Condon during the 15-lap race. Only on the final lap was Duprey able to hold the inside line, and he beat Condon by inches as they traded paint out of the final corner. Rookie Josh Bussino finished a close third.
Through six Renegade features in 2016, Duprey has won all five races that he was able to start and holds an unofficial 33-point lead for the championship over Condon, 357-324. Bussino is third, six points behind Condon.
The Portland Glass Mini Stock division put together a memorable 15-lap race that showcased good competition and its share of funny moments. As some cars dropped out and re-entered the race at a pace of nearly two cars per lap, Chris Conroy and Robert Garney put on a show up front. Conroy, of Newport, N.H., held on for his second win of the season, followed by Garney, P.J. Bleau, Wayland Childs, and first-time dirt racer Kyle Watrous.
Conroy leads the Mini Stock championship race by nine points over Childs, 301-292. Mike Ryan, Garney, and Jason Porter sit in positions 3-5.
Devil's Bowl Speedway is back in action with two nights of racing during the weekend of August 13-14. The half-mile Asphalt Track runs on Saturday, August 13 at 7:00 p.m. with twin 25-lap Sportsman Modified features and three other weekly NASCAR divisions. General admission on Saturday is $12 for adults, $10 for seniors (62+), $5 for teens (13-17), and free for kids age 12 and under, and all Heritage Family Credit Union members will receive free admission with proof of HFCU membership
The 3/10-mile Dirt Track races again on Sunday, August 14 at 6:00 p.m. as the winged Sprint Cars of New England return along with the three weekly NASCAR divisions. Special general admission on Sunday is $15 for adults, $13 for seniors (62+), $5 for teens (13-17), and free for kids age 12 and under.
In addition, the "Tennessee Twister" monster truck will also be on hand both nights to give fans and spectators rides for just $5 per person.
Devil's Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, Vt., four miles north of Exit 2 off of U.S. Route 4 and just 20 minutes from Rutland, Vt. For more information, visit www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com or call (802) 265-3112. Devil's Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Whelen Engineering Mid-Season Championships
Devil's Bowl Speedway Dirt Track – West Haven, VT
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Central Vermont Motorcycles Sportsman Modified Feature (35 laps)
# - denotes rookie
1. (13) Kenny Tremont Jr., West Sand Lake, N.Y.
2. (14) Bobby Hackel, Rensselaer, N.Y.
3. (11) Tim LaDuc, Orwell, Vt.
4. (18) # Justin Severance, Pittsford, Vt.
5. (9) Vince Quenneville Jr., Brandon, Vt.
6. (1) Brian Whittemore, Pittsford, Vt.
7. (15) Chad Miller, White River Junction, Vt.
8. (8) Derrick McGrew, Ballston Spa, N.Y.
9. (10) Jackie Brown Jr., Hurley, N.Y.
10. (3) Wayne Stearns, Bradford, Vt.
11. (4) Jim Introne Jr., Hartford, N.Y.
12. (5) Allan Hammond, Canaan, N.H.
13. (6) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, Vt.
14. (7) Chris Murray, Fair Haven, Vt.
15. (17) David Schilling, East Greenbush, N.Y.
16. (2) Jason Bruno, Morrisonville, N.Y.
17. (12) Justin Comes, Middlebury, Vt.
18. (16) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
Heat Winners: Brian Whittemore, Chris Murray, Tim LaDuc
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Justin Severance
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Justin Comes
Rosen & Berger Auto Recyclers Renegade Feature (15 laps)
# - denotes rookie
1. (3) Bill Duprey, Hydeville, Vt.
2. (1) Curtis Condon, Queensbury, N.Y.
3. (2) # Josh Bussino, Belmont, Vt.
4. (4) Lou Gancarz, North Adams, Mass.
Did Not Start: Aaron Fachini, North Adams, Mass.; Jason Gagnon, Castleton, Vt.
Heat Winner: Bill Duprey
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Bill Duprey
Portland Glass Mini Stock Feature (15 laps)
# - denotes rookie
1. (6) Chris Conroy, Newport, N.H.
2. (2) Robert Garney, Fort Edward, N.Y.
3. (10) P.J. Bleau, Cohoes, N.Y.
4. (5) Wayland Childs, Chelsea, Vt.
5. (13) # Kyle Watrous, Bomoseen, Vt.
6. (7) # Chris Charbonneau, Rutland, Vt.
7. (14) Mike Whalen Jr., Peru, N.Y.
8. (8) Robert Willey, Warner, N.H.
9. (11) Mike Ryan, Vershire, Vt.
10. (4) Jason Porter, Freeport, Maine
11. (15) Sean Perron, Sharon, Vt.
12. (3) Derrick Counter, Leicester, Vt.
13. (9) Sean Lantas, Newport, N.H.
14. (1) # Cameron Kennedy, Rochester, Vt.
15. (12) Chris Cardarelli, Milton, Vt.
Did Not Start: Eric Castiglioni, Newbury, N.H.
Heat Winners: Robert Willey, Wayland Childs
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Kyle Watrous